Growing a blog audience takes time, consistency and effort. But it is possible to build a sizable, engaged following for your blog with the right strategies and tactics.
In this comprehensive guide, we will share 15 proven and effective ways to increase blog traffic and readers in 2023.
1. Create High-Quality, Informative Content
The foundation of growing any blog is consistently publishing high-quality, informative content. Make sure your articles are:
- Well-researched: All information should be accurate, factual and from trustworthy sources. Cite sources where needed.
- In-depth: Write longform content exceeding 2000 words whenever possible. More comprehensive articles tend to perform better.
- Engaging: Use an informal, conversational tone. Ask questions, tell stories and use humor when appropriate.
- Visually appealing: Break up text with relevant images, graphics, videos and headers. Use bullet points and numbered lists when applicable.
- Optimized: Include target keywords naturally throughout your content. Optimize title tags, meta descriptions, subtitles, image alt text and more.
- Valuable to readers: Provide actionable advice, solutions to problems, or lesser known insights. Give readers information they can’t find elsewhere.
Comparison of Top Performing Blog Post Lengths
|Post Length||Average Search Traffic||Average Social Traffic|
|Under 1,000 words||24% below average||39% below average|
|1,000 – 1,500 words||18% below average||29% below average|
|1,500 – 2,000 words||10% below average||19% below average|
|2,000 – 2,500 words||Average search traffic||Average social traffic|
|2,500 – 3,000 words||15% above average||12% above average|
|3,000+ words||22% above average||18% above average|
2. Promote New Content
Don’t expect readers to magically find your new posts. Actively promote your content across social media, email newsletters, and other channels when first published.
Some effective promotion strategies include:
- Post on relevant Facebook Groups and Subreddits
- Share on Twitter and ask influential people in your niche to retweet
- Promote on LinkedIn with relevant hashtags
- Send broadcast on email newsletter with link to new post
- Outreach to other bloggers for collaborations like guest posts
Promoting content extensively when first published helps generate initial traction. This signals search engines that the content is relevant and should rank higher.
3. Get Listed on Aggregator Websites
Content aggregators essentially collect and share links to blog posts and articles across various niches. Getting your content featured on these high-traffic hubs can directly send streams of visitors.
Some top aggregators to target include:
- Hacker Noon
- Growth Hackers
To get listed on an aggregator, identify relevant contributor guidelines for submission. Make sure your content meets the criteria before pitching your article.
4. Guest Blog on Industry Websites
Guest blogging remains one of the most effective ways to grow your audience, build backlinks and drive referral traffic. Identify 5-10 reputable industry websites that accept contributor posts.
Pitch relevant article ideas to editors until you land a guest blogging opportunity. When writing the post, include a brief bio with link back to your blog.
This strategy expands your reach to an established domain’s existing readership. Just be sure to avoid shady guest posting on spammy sites simply for backlinks. Focus only on reputable and high-authority publication websites related to your niche.
5. Interact and Engage on Social Media
Social media is integral for increasing blog traffic and subscribers. But simply sharing blog post links isn’t enough. You need to actively engage followers, prospects and influencers.
Here are some proven social media engagement tactics:
- Share non-promotional content: Post useful industry insights, relateable news, funny memes etc. to provide value.
- Like and comment: Interact with others’ posts to increase visibility and goodwill. Be helpful and thoughtful.
- Reply to mentions and comments: Respond promptly to any comments or mentions to foster community.
- Use relevant hashtags: Include niche-specific hashtags subtly in some of your posts to tap into larger conversations.
- Direct message influencers: Initiate conversations with key influencers through DMs. Build authentic relationships over time.
The more you sincerely engage on social platforms around your niche, the more authority you build while exposing your brand to new audiences.
6. Claim and Optimize Your Blog Profiles
Several blog and article directories allow you to create and customize a profile to showcase your website. Some popular platforms include:
- Blog Kiwi
Claiming your blog’s profile on these sites helps increase visibility and search visibility. Just be sure to fully complete your profile with a compelling bio, niche keywords, site categories and links back to your blog.
7. Collaborate with Influencers
Influencer marketing collaborations can help expose your brand to tens of thousands of new potential readers. Identify relevant influencers with engaged audiences in your niche.
Outreach to inquire if they are open to collaborations like:
- Co-creating content
- Roundup posts
- Brand ambassadorship
- Sponsored content
Offer to collaborate in whatever capacity works for them. For smaller influencers, you may only need to provide a complimentary product sample or pay a nominal fee.
Even micro-influencers with just 10,000 engaged followers can be hugely beneficial for expanding your audience.
8. Build Expertise through Thought Leadership
Position yourself as a thought leader in your industry to build authority and trust. This attracts more visitors who find your expertise credible and reliable.
Some thought leadership activities include:
- Contribute quotes and insights to industry publications
- Speak at local meetups and conferences
- Create presentations and webinars
- Start a niche podcast
- Conduct and share original research/surveys
Establish yourself as a trusted expert rather than just another blogger in your space.
9. Optimize Website Navigation
Your blog navigation structure plays a key role in reader experience and SEO. Ensure your main menus and internal links are optimized for user-friendliness and search bots:
- Logical information architecture: Group similar content together in intuitive categories and menus.
- Prominently link important pages: Prioritize high-value pages related to your brand in the main navigation.
- Descriptive text links: Use brief but clear link texts like “About Us” rather than just “About”.
- Easy access to archives: Allow readers to easily browse all your previous blog posts.
- Remove excessive ads: Don’t let ads clutter up key portions of your site. Use ad placements judiciously.
Navigation should make it easy for users to find relevant content and move through your site seamlessly.
10. Improve Website Load Speed
Site speed is a ranking factor for Google and directly impacts user experience. Faster sites tend to earn more visitor loyalty and engagement over time.
Some ways to optimize website speed include:
- Choosing lightweight theme and page builder
- Minimizing HTTP requests
- Compressing images
- Removing unnecessary plugins
- Enabling browser caching
- Optimizing web host server configuration
Test your blog’s page speed and aim for under 2 second load time on both mobile and desktop. Address any issues flagged in speed checkers like Google PageSpeed Insights or Pingdom.
11. Build Email Newsletter Subscribers
Email marketing remains one of the most direct channels for engaging blog subscribers over the long-term.
Implement various lead capture forms and popups throughout your site to encourage newsletter signups. Offer an irresistible lead magnet like a discount or free toolkit to motivate subscriptions.
Send regular newsletters highlighting your newest and best performing articles. Use segmented lists to target subscribers based on their specific interests for higher open rates.
Focus on quality over quantity though – build an engaged subscriber base that actually looks forward to your emails. Deliver value with each newsletter instead of simply spamming promotional content.
12. Join Blog Commenting Communities
Participating in relevant blog discussions helps increase referral traffic while building relationships with influencers.
Find the top blogs in your industry. Check their posts’ comments section to identify active user communities. Join the conversation by leaving thoughtful, value-adding responses.
Make sure to have your name link back to your website. But focus on contributing genuinely rather than aggressively self-promoting.
Blog owners often notice and appreciate engaged commenters, sometimes featuring them in future posts or guest contribution opportunities.
13. Leverage Quora and Reddit
Quora and Reddit can drive massive amounts of referral traffic from established user bases. Identify relevant niche-specific communities on each platform.
Search for questions related to your expertise. Provide helpful, detailed responses while linking back to deep-dive content on your own site.
Also post interesting industry-related questions to encourage initial upvotes and discussion. Popularity on Quora and Reddit can lead to ongoing waves of new visitors over time.
14. Join LinkedIn Groups
LinkedIn Groups provide a massive opportunity to connect with professionals in your target industry. Seek out and join highly engaged niche groups on LinkedIn.
Offer thoughtful insights and advice within Group conversations. Share links to your most evergreen blog content when relevant to the discussion.
You can also create your own LinkedIn Group focused on your specialty to attract new members. Promote the Group across other social channels to boost membership.
15. Build SEO Fundamentals
Search engine optimization (SEO) is crucial for increasing organic traffic to your blog long-term. Here are some best practices:
- Research target keywords and include them naturally in content.
- Use strategic internal linking to pass authority to important pages.
- Get external websites in your industry to link back to your blog.
- Produce content assets like infographics, tools or resources that readers will link to.
- Ensure website and blog are mobile-friendly and fully indexed by search bots.
Growing a successful blog that attracts and retains readers requires persistence, creativity and effective execution of audience-building strategies.
Focus on providing consistent value through high-quality content while leveraging social media, partnerships, email marketing and SEO.
With time and sustained effort, you can build an expanding blog audience interested in what you publish.
Which blog promotion tactics have you found most effective? Let me know in the comments!